2. Source, CNN, link
3. “Now they try to collect as much data as they can…and try to apply algorithms to be able to analyze patterns, identify anomalies or track profiles.” Kozlovski describes this as ‘predictive security,’ heavily reliant on such techniques as anomaly detection engines.
4. Anomaly: n. something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected
5. The divorce was full of anomalies, from the couple deciding to continue living in the same home to their children deciding to run away on the day of the court hearing.
2. Source: NPR, link
3. Maybe nothing seemed as out-of-place, though, as the performance by Elton John that was connected to the Emmys by nothing except Michael Douglas’ tepid linking of John to Liberace, whom Douglas played in the HBO film Behind The Candelabra.
4. Tepid: adj. (esp. of a liquid) only slightly warm; lukewarm
5. The tepid water resembled Ana’s feelings towards the news that her ex boyfriend had a new girlfriend.
Here are a few screenshots of errors I found. I’ve highlighted the errors on the screenshots.
This Yahoo article has an awkward sentence. It can easily be fixed by inserting a comma right after the word specifically.
This assignment sheet has a number of errors (I chose to ignore the PM one). The number one should be written out, as numbers up to nine are written out. The word the needs to be inserted before exam.
This class syllabus has a really easy fix: taking out the word exam and perhaps putting a comma after the word choice.
2. Source, The NY Times, link
3. Adding another twist, Mr. Kerry and his Russian counterpart met at the same Geneva hotel where Hillary Rodham Clinton, then the secretary of state, presented Mr. Lavrov with a red “reset” button in 2009 to symbolize the Obama administration’s efforts to improve ties with Moscow — an effort that so far has been largely stymied since Vladimir A. Putin resumed his role as Russia’s president.
4. Stymie: v. Prevent or hinder the progress of
5. The lagging wifi stymied my efforts to do my homework in class.
This article on The New York Times’ website was my favorite news story of the week. It reports that Pope Francis of the Vatican is casually calling people to help them in times of need. For example, he called a woman who wrote to him about being pressured into an abortion (which she did not give in to) by her married boyfriend. The Pope promised to personally baptize the baby once it is born.
This is news because it impacts all followers of the church. People are delighted to hear that the new Pope has a more down-to-Earth approach to his position. The Pope is extremely prominent, so his actions naturally make the story significant. The story’s currency and timeliness is accurate since this is a recent event. We could localize this news by speaking with members of the local Catholic Church and recording their reactions/taking their opinions on this news.
As I stroll into one of my favorite places in the world, the smell of coffee engulfs me. There is a line full of eight people and only three baristas behind the coffee bar. I stand in line to order my cup of Philz when a familiar face behind the coffee bar winks at me and mouths, “Large?” I smile, nod, and slip out of line as I successfully order my drink through eye contact. I plop onto one of the couches nearest to the coffee bar and melt into the seat. I am surrounded by brown tones, from taupe couches to cocoa-colored bar stools to beige marble on the coffee bar and mahogany wood on the walls. Perhaps Phil was inspired by his art to create an ambience that puts people in the mood for coffee. When it comes to good java, you don’t have to ask me twice. The café has a soft setting with easy listening in the background, some rendition of smooth jazz. Over the lounge music, I hear a barista with a sweet-but-loud voice yell, “I have a small mint mojito! I have a large iced ecstatic!” These are both delicious, full-bodied blends of Philz’s iced coffee. The atmosphere at Philz is almost as pungent as the coffee itself, with comfortable seating, retro music, and a robust aroma that lingers in my mind for the rest of the day.